Monday, August 1, 2011

a little bit of denial

SO... I wasn't really going to post this, because then it's "official" but about 6 weeks ago I had my 1 hour glucose test and failed it. Instead of making me do the 3 hour test, they just decided to say I have gestational diabetes. Is this the worst news in the world? Probably not, but it was hard for ME to take. I cried. A lot. And not just tears, but full sobbing on the floor crying. I couldn't talk about it without crying and I didn't really want to. I'm better with it now... but I'm not entirely convinced I have it (hence the title of this post)

Anyways, what that meant for me was that I had to meet with a dietitian and check my blood sugar four times a day. So even though I didn't like it and wasn't really convinced I had gestational diabetes (long story) I am a good patient and I did what I was told. I followed the diet to a "T" and checked my blood sugar like they told me to.

So far my blood sugars have been fine, they have not had the need to make me take insulin. I hadn't actually gained any weight during my pregnancy, and have since lost 9 pounds so far. The baby is measuring right where he should be, even the doctor said he wasn't very big. The upside if there is one, is that there is a "reason" to have ultrasounds done at this point and I get to see that he is doing well, his heart is beating and he's doing his practice breathing. And that is comforting. The downside is that my fingers hurt from pricking them and I'm hungry a lot. I am limited as to what I can eat and when I can eat. It's a good thing I love eggs, otherwise breakfast would be a nightmare everyday.

I am 37 wks 4 days now. We have the c-section scheduled for August 12, unless he decides to come early. I don't think he will. Blake didn't. I didn't have any contractions with Blake until they induced me. I have only had one contraction with this one and that was over a week ago. I guess they just like my womb!

No comments: