Sunday, April 13, 2008

a bit of me, II

So, I had decided to take the discussions. I had made up my mind that if there was anything presented that I didn't agree with, then I would not continue with the discussions. My first discussion was at Howard's house. Before hand I had this great theory of how the different religions all meet the same purpose and thought that I was pretty smart. When I mentioned my theory, I can remember the slight shake of the missionaries heads and knew right away that whatever I thought I knew was wrong.
I was ready to hear the gospel. It's amazing to me even now. Everything that was taught immediately made sense and I didn't have any doubts or questions really. This must have been odd for the missionaries. Elder Stokes would always ask me if I had any questions and I never really did. I remember them telling me that I would have to pray about all that I was learning to find out if it was true for myself. Honestly I did pray a couple times, but having never really prayed before, I gave up after a few times when I didn't feel anything or get an answer.
After another discussion, I remember Elder Stokes asking me if I had prayed and received an answer yet. I was honest and told him that I had prayed, but then stopped. He encouraged me to pray again. I thought about why I hadn't felt any kind of response the last times I had prayed. I was reading the scriptures and I wanted to say it was in James, but I don't think that was it, anyways, I remember reading about having a desire for knowledge and I realized that before I didn't really have the desire to know. Now I did have that desire.
I think it was a Sunday when I was had time and I sat for hours reading over the discussion pamphlets and reading the scriptures. I read the scriptures over and over until I understood what they were saying. I had started out with a prayer, telling Heavenly Father what my intentions were and then I went to work.
After I was finished, I remember thinking that I didn't really feel anything, that I still didn't know, but I started to say my prayer anyway. Then I felt the presence of the Spirit. I could feel him through out my body. I couldn't hold in the tears. I didn't even have to pray, I just knelt there and sobbed. All of my questions were being answered. I knew that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was the true church, that Joseph Smith was a prophet and restored the church, that the Book of Mormon was the word of God. I also knew that if I joined the Church, I would find my husband there. I knew then and I still know now. I haven't forgotten how I felt that day and I don't think I ever will.
I probably would have joined the Church anyway, without that confirmation, but I am so glad that I was gently persuaded into doing the work. It was an important lesson for me and the right starting block.

3 comments:

Beau & Lenette said...

What a wonderful story and what a great testimony. I can't wait to hear the rest of it (how you met Adam). I am so impressed and humbled by your friend Howard, I wish I had the guts to be that forward and the spirit to be so prompted. When it comes to situations like that I am such a chicken and so shy.

Des said...

That is AWESOME! As the story goes on I think that is where Orange and I met you. When you met Adam and started to date. I still remember that trailer and that fantastic movie night that I reluctantly spent in the bathroom as oppossed to on the couch with the rest of you. Good grief! But ahh the memories:)

Camilla said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. I really enjoyed reading it and feeling the Spirit confirm to me what you were saying. Isn't it wonderful?