Monday, April 21, 2008

the day we got married

I decided to skip to the part where we get married because today is that day... Only 7 years ago.

Our good friends, Orange & Des had gotten married April 7, 2001, right Des? Anyway, they were having their wedding reception that evening and they lived in VA at the time. Adam and I were originally going to get married June 15. We had gotten the paperwork the beginning of April and I had the crazy idea that we cold get married when we were in VA for Orange & Des' reception. Adam agreed. Thinking back now, I sure hope they weren't upset with us.

I called the Washington DC temple and they were so nice to me. I explained what we were thinking and we decided to leave the June 15th date and send in the paperwork overnight and if it didn't get there in time, then we would stick with June 15th. They would call me and let me know if they got the paperwork, I think it was down to the week before we were to get married. I was on pins & needles the whole time, waiting to hear from them.

Funny thing is: our parents knew we were getting married on June 15th. We weren't going to tell them it might possibly be sooner. When I got the call that everything was good for April 21, 2001. I was so excited. I was also taking my endowments that day. Everyone thought I was so crazy for doing it the same day, they didn't think I'd be able to concentrate because I was getting married.

As I was preparing that thursday night (we were leaving Friday afternoon) I decided that we should tell some people, that they would probably get mad if we didn't. I called Dan & Molly, David & Laura, & Jen and her mom. They all made last minute plans to go to DC. I then made the call and told my parents that I was getting married that weekend in DC. I think they were surprised, and I later found out they were a little mad. But they like Adam....

You are probably wondering what Adam's parents thought... they thought we were getting married June 15th! That's right Adam didn't tell them. In Adam's defense, we had both decided not to tell our parents, but I couldn't do it. Adam told them about a month later and they were mad! But they got over it and didn't hold it against us.

Back to getting married...

Everything worked out just right and I knew we were doing the right thing. I had married the right person, in the right place, at the right time. Even though he drives me crazy, I love Adam so much. We get along so well and really enjoy each other's company. I have been so blessed.




5 comments:

Beau & Lenette said...

very sweet! Beau and I had 2 weddings which made some people mad when they found out! I'll have to tell you the story sometime.

Rebecca said...

If I'd known Dan was going to join the Marines, I'd have waited so he could wear dress blues when we got married! We got maiied April 24 in the LA Temple.

I love your stories! You are amazing.

Sharon said...

Ok I'm a little confused what day did you end up getting married? My parents would of died. Oh and very creative idea on your blood test that's smart. I can't stand the one hour one. Just curious are you still working?

Fonsecas said...

Happy Anniversary!!
I think I'm gonna copy your idea and post some of my wedding pics.

Des said...

Happy belated Anniversary! Sorry the kids and I have been up to see Orange off at Fort Lewis. So no computer the last 2wks. Also, are you kidding? We were not the least bit mad about you guys getting married on are 3rd reception for heaven sakes!! You couldn't have made it more convienent for us to be there:) I think that you have a funny story to say you eloped to the temple. Although I KNOW you would rather not have had to get married without your familys. Anyways...it was an awesome day and a beautiful ceremony! I still remember it well. Your wedding was the first I had been to in the temple besides my own. SEVEN years... heck we are just getting started to Eternity!