June 18-
Arrived at the hospital @ 5:30 pm and was admitted. I was not dilated or effaced, so the plan was to place cervadil next to my cervix. This softens the cervix and can sometimes start labor on it's own. It stays in for 12 hours, the first 2 you have to lay on your side and use a bedpan if you need to go to the bathroom.
June 19-
Cervadil was removed and I was started on pitocin to start contractions. During this time I had to pretty much stay in the bed, with monitors on, only getting up to use the bathroom. After 10 hours and NO progress, they stopped the pitocin and let me eat dinner and take a shower before placing the cervadil again. The contractions I was having was not picking up on the monitor, so I had a push button that I had to push every time I felt a contraction. I was starting to feel the contractions pretty good and cried a little. I didn't take anything for pain because when I got up, they eased up a lot. My blood pressures were still a little high.
June 20-
Cervadil removed, pitocin started again. My blood pressures started to get higher, and I was given IV BP (blood pressure) meds which helped. The contractions were getting more painful and I have a couple doses of IV pain meds. I had dilated to 2cm and 50% effaced. They decided to again stop the pitocin and let me have something to eat, shower and place another cervadil.
June 21-
The cervadil came out on it's own after about 6 hours and pitocin was started again bright and early. We decided with the Dr. to go ahead and break my water. After breaking my water they put a monitor inside to measure the contractions. This would be the day that we would have the baby whether it be vaginally or C-section. I had a catheter placed in my bladder because I was having to go every hour and urinating a lot, so this was much better for me. The contractions were getting much stronger and Adam and I decided to go ahead and get an epidural. I was given the epidural at 3pm and it was great! I felt a low back ache, but no pain. I even was able to get a nap in, I was pretty tired.
At about 4:30pm as I was again dozing off (Adam was starting to sleep on the sofa), the nurse comes in and lowers the head of my bed, makes me turn on my back. Blake's heart rate had dropped. Soon I had 3 nurses and the Dr. at the bedside, stopping the pitcoin, putting me on oxygen, and cranking up my IV fluids. After a few minutes Blake started to recover. They placed an internal monitor for Blake's heart rate. They started the pitocin again and said that we would do a C-section if he didn't tolerate the pitocin. They weren't sure if he was grabbed the umbilical cord or something. I was dilated to 5cm at this point.
His heart rate dropped again and the pitocin was stopped. The Dr. came in and said that we would have to do a C-section and we started getting prepared for that. Adam would be able to go into the OR with me.
I went to the OR and the anaesthesiologist gave me a spinal. He tested me to see if I could feel anything and I could, so he gave me another. I could still feel the Dr. pinching my skin with these huge hemostats. So that meant that I'd have to be put under general anesthesia and Adam would not be in there. I was very scared, I had the thought that they would put me to sleep and I wouldn't wake up.
June 22- 2am
I remember waking up to pain. Very bad pain. After giving me a few doses of pain medication, the pain subsided to hurting really bad when I moved. They told me that I had had my baby at 1136pm on the 21st. (My dad's B-day) and they told me his stats, but honestly I couldn't really remember. I got to my room and Adam went to get Blake so that I could feed him. The pediatricians wait to give the baby a bath until after the mom breastfeeds. This helps them to get good nutrition in before they go into the sleepy faze for the next 24hours.
June 26-
Day of discharge for me and Blake! We had to stay in the hospital because my BP was still elevated and we had to get it under control before I could go home.
By the way, I know you all want to see pics, but I am exhausted at the moment. I promise to get them up tomorrow or the next day.
5 comments:
Great to hear that you are home with your sweet baby, Blake! I could well understand why you were and are so exhausted. Rest, take care of you and the baby, and let Adam do as much as possible for you two.
You will be in our prayers.
Cami
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that you and Blake are doing fine. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.
I am so glad you're home, I've been checking every day to see if there was word up! I can't wait to meet Blake!
You must be wiped out completely. Congratulations! I am so happy for you both!
Wow! Sounds like you had a rough labor and delivery. I hope all goes well and you recover quickly. I am praying for you guys. Blake is adorable. Did you get the blanket I sent? Take care and take it easy.
Post a Comment