We left off with us "dancing", Adam knew how I felt but he wasn't sharing how he felt with me. Towards the end of November he went on leave with his friend, Orange to Utah and Idaho. I was missing him and our phone conversations. I didn't really want to be that girl that called and bothered him, so instead I was the girl that looked at my phone...
One day I was checking my email and was surprised to get an email from him. (I asked if I could share some of what he wrote and he agreed. Of course I SAVED it!) He started out telling me how his trip was going and then my heart started beating and I stopped breathing.
(I just copied and pasted, no editing)
anyways, that?s why i?m emailing you.....this is where it gets hairy, and i?m going to startrambling...... but this is the truth, i hope you canappreciate that..... (shutup... you had me athello!)...... ;) anyways, hey, i want to tellyou that your feelings for me havent? gone unnoticed,ok? i just really haven?t known how to deal withthem, you?ve been on my mind a lot while i?ve beenon vacation.... i don?t know..... i?ve just beenthinking about stuff that?s happend... dont? think idon?t notice how you look at me..... maybe i?m seeinginto stuff too much, but i don?t think i am.... iguess there?s only one way to find out huh? comparenotes... so that night before i went onvacation...... that monday at fhe? remember that? well, i do.. i dropped everyone off at the church andeveryone went to the church like they were going to gochat like normal... you know same old junk.. i wantedto , but i wanted to get my friend home at a decenthour.. anyways, you were standing there at my door....and you just gave me this look..... you know what icould see inthose eyes of yours? ?eternity? that?swhat i could see... don?t ask me what that means,that? sjust what i saw.. and right at that moment.. itwas one of those moments where the right thing to dois kiss.. i swear i was about that close to kissingyou... i don?t know why? it just felt like the thingto do.... i?m sorry if that sounds weirdo... listen, ihope i?m not coming off the wrong way, i just want tobe truthful ok? listen, i know it took a lot for youto tell me how you feel that night at therestaurant... it just took me a while to figure outwhat to do about it ok? sorry... i just had thishunch.. umm.. well, suffice to say that i would liketo spend more time with you, and get to know youbetter.. i?ve missed you while i?ve been onvacation...
you put the ball in my courta long time ago.... now i?m passing it back to you....i wonder if you still feel the same? you know when italk to you....you downplay your feelings so much.. iguess you?re just worried about overwhelming me, orsomething to that effect..... other people tell me alittle bit about how youfeel.. it?s a bit differentfrom what i hear from you..... oh you know what imean.... i guess i?m just going to see whathappens...ok? so send me an email back ok? tell mewhat you think?
I read it many times, not quite believing what I was reading, thinking it was too good to be true.
We dated for a month and then we broke up. Part of it was my fault. I hardly remember that month at all, I was so terrified. I didn't have a clue what I was doing or what I was supposed to be doing, having never dated before. The other part was that "hunch" he had. I think he knew I was the one and he was scared. It wasn't a nasty breakup at all. I knew that he was scared. Of course it didn't stop me from crying me eyes out.
We were still friends and still talked and saw each other and hung out. It was so much easier to be with each other, the pressure was off. We both realized that. He really wanted to hang out with me on Valentine's Day, so he came to CT and brought me flowers and a book and we got back together.
He went to New Orleans the end of February to guard the Marine Corps Band for the Mardi Gras parades. We talked about everyday. He told me he loved me for the first time and we started talking about getting married. I know that it sounds fast, and it was, but we both knew.
It was then that I remembered my patriarchal blessing that said "it was vital to obtain a confirmation through the Holy Ghost of my choice". All of a sudden I was freaked out. Adam was my one and only. I hadn't dated anyone else. I loved him, I wanted to marry him. I was battling with myself, not wanting to get that confirmation. What if the answer was no? Was I going to marry him anyway? How could I tell him no? How could I hurt him?
In the end I prayed and read and prayed and read until I got my answer. I was so relieved and happy. I told Adam, he thought I should have done that BEFORE we decided to get married.
He asked me to marry him on March 12, 2001, on the anniversary of my baptism.
On April 21, 2001 we went to the Washington DC Temple and I married the right person, at the right time and in the right place just like Heavenly Father promised.
3 comments:
If I say "Aaaww" believe me I am being sincere. That is awesome! If Heavenly Father had someone else in mind I'm sure you would have taken it seriously no matter how hard it would have been on either of you.
Heather, thanks so much for sharing all of this! It is awesome to read it all and know how you guys were led to each other. I'm so glad you got married!
Heather, That is so sweet of you to share your love story. Funny when I was reading Adams letter I could hear him talking. He types just as he talks. I am SO glad it worked out for both of you. You pair up well I think:)
Post a Comment