I realized that by getting baptised, I was entering into a covenant with Heavenly Father: I get baptised and join the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints and in return I would find the person I was going to marry.
Not kidding, as soon as I was baptised, I was looking for whoever it would be that I would marry. Unfortunately I ended up with a crush on the missionary that baptised me. It's a little embarrassing even now. Everyone knew, he knew. That kind of stuff just writes itself on my face for the world to see and I can't seem to help it. Eventually I realized that I would just have to be patient. There were Sister missionaries that were in the branch that met at our ward building and I became close to them. One of them (she's one of my favorites, Emily) was talking to me one day and told me about this Marine I should meet. He was about my age and talked about wanting to get married. Huh... I didn't see any Marines, let alone ANY singles in my ward. I wondered how I was going to meet him but didn't really think much of it.
There was a Temple trip scheduled for the Saturday before Memorial Day and I was having a hard time deciding to go or not. I was really nervous, I'm not a social butterfly and it scared me to be around people I didn't know. I ended up going. I was quiet and kept to myself, watching everyone. I did meet a couple of people, one was the YSA leader (I'm not sure that's the right terminology) and she got my info and called me to invite me to a picnic that Monday. I was nervous to go, but I went anyways.
At the picnic is where I saw Adam. I did see him on the Temple trip, but I didn't really talk to him. Adam LOVES telling people that the first time I met him I thought he was a jerk. It's not exactly true. I don't consider this meeting him. I didn't talk to him or him to me, I just watched. I can't remember what exactly he did, but I did indeed think he was an arrogant jerk. I went home thinking nothing of it.
I had found out that the YSA would have FHE and institute and was invited to go. So I started going. We had another activity at a lake and this is when I officially met Adam. We started talking. It was hot outside and he was wiping his face with a napkin and I remember that little pieces were sticking to his stubble. It was kinda cute. All Adam remembers is that he wanted to drive my old VW Jetta because it was a stick.
As we were talking he says to me "You're the one the Sister missionaries were telling me about!"
It took me by surprise and I said "You're the one the Sister missionaries were telling ME about."
Huh...
This was in June. We saw each other at FHE and stuff and chatted, but nothing really happened, except me crushing on him. It was sometime this summer that I knew he was the one I was going to marry, but I didn't really trust it. I remember now... there was a trip to Palmyra to see the Pageant. After that Adam and a couple other girls and I went to Niagara Falls and Adam and I talked the whole time while the girls slept.
This is about the time that I started thinking about getting a nanny job. In late August, early September, I went on an interview with a family in Westport, CT and got hired. I was excited. It turns out that the "Nanny ward" I was going to was the same one that Adam went to so that he could meet girls. There were about 100 girls and about 5 guys, so his odds were pretty good.
There was a fireside there my first Sunday and Adam was there and he called me over to sit by him. We exchanged phone numbers, I didn't really think he would call me, but he did.
We would talk for an hour at a time about all kinds of stuff. He was dating this one girl in Missouri that he was kinda serious about, but he was dating other girls too. She had just broken up with him. We became good friends. The more we talked and hung out (he would come to CT for FHE) the more I liked him.
My friends were his friends and he would talk to them too. Remember I said that my emotions were written on my face... Yeah, Adam knew and he would tease me about it. Whatever. He started asking my friends about how I felt and they would tell him a little and tell me what they said. Sometimes I wanted to die. But he was starting to like me too.
Funny story: He had told my friend that I reminded him of Adrianne from Rocky, with my glasses and all and somehow he mentioned the scene where Rocky took off her glasses and kissed her. So I did what anyone would do; I rented Rocky and watched that part. HA! Adam called right at that part, you can imagine me scrambling to stop the movie and try to act normal. I just about had a heart attack!
So we had this little dance... He knew that I liked him and he wouldn't really tell me what he was feeling.
3 comments:
cute story! Isn't if funny to look back at that first meeting/dating stage and think of how silly we were?! I'm so glad we are well beyond that now :)
I love your story Heather. I remember going to some little restaurant with you, Adam, and the kid from the ward who was football player. . . I forgot his name. It was such a fun summer being there; I loved it. :) Good times. If you're ever out this way you'll definitely have to stop by. :)
I am so stinkin good! OK, I'm done patting myself on the back, for now :). I remember having that conversation with you. Isn't that crazy? It's amazing how it all works out isn't it? Love you!
Post a Comment