Tuesday, July 8, 2008

plans for the future

Lots of people have asked if I was planning on going back to work and other stuff so I'd figure I'd answer.
I actually worked up to the day before I went into the hospital and I do plan on going back to work. I am taking 12 weeks off and will be returning sometime around mid Sept. We already have someone to watch Blake. Luckily for me I only have to work 3 days a week when I go back full time.
My immediate future is trying to get Blake into the habit of taking a nap on his own. He got a little spoiled his first week and a half. I realized this as I had him in bed with us and I was curled around him so he would go to sleep. I woke up with terrible neck pains that have eased up some, but haven't gone away. So far he does pretty well at night and I am am to get sleep. We have moved him into his room and I have carried the monitor around with me to make sure I can hear him. We are working on getting him into a schedule. He is doing well except for the nap times. I am hoping that each day will get better, at least that's what everyone tells me.
Adam is doing great with Blake. He is able to sleep through the crying though, I don't know how he can do it. He's been really supportive. It's really nice to have him home for now.
My obstacle that I have to figure out is breastfeeding in public... I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm all thumbs using the nursing cover. Blake grabs it and covers his face and I can't see him. I have to use a nipple shield, so I really need to be able to see and the whole process is difficult. Plus, I have no idea where I am going to breastfeed at church, there is no mother's lounge. Maybe I'll have to go out to the car... Well I still have a few more days before Sunday to figure it out.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That nursing stuff is tough. After baby #1 I was told to give it 6 weeks to feel confident. That's about how long it took to feel like I could do the nursing thing. It was another kid before I felt confident! You'll get it. And you can nurse in the RS room or empty classroom. Just position the chair with your back against the door to prevent surprises.

Kelli said...

We can totally create a shield for you, hold up blankets, create a wall of RS sisters etc. You'll be surpised at how good you'll get. I was nursing one time and a brother came in and started chatting with me and I just sat there listening thinking he must be clueless or just very comfortable with nursing moms. He was clueless! As soon as the baby squeaked he realized I was nursing and turned red and left. I thought it was funny.... Let me know if you need help!

Des said...

Heather, Nursing is not my friend!! That nursing cover is good though because it is supposed to stay open on the top so you can see! Practice at home with the cover so you will be comfortable in public. Trust me, I am as modest as it comes and I swear I was always so nervous in public that I swear the baby could sense it. And would wiggle and grab the cover. The cover that stays open at your neck I didn't discover until Adrik, of coarse he was #4 so I was a little more experienced. Remember half the problem is Blake not really knowing what to do yet. Like Rebecca said it is like 6wks before they recognize what is going on and what they are supposed to do. Adrik is 11mo and he can find it in the dark with me laying in any position I want. As for no mother's lounge...shame on them! They can at least put a comfy chair in the ladies room if nothing else. When my babies get grabby I use the hand of the arm they are laying on and hold their hand down. Anyway, Pratice will make perfect and give Blake a chance to learn what his job is:)

Catherine said...

Spoiled? In the first week and a half? Believe me, it takes longer than that, and as for getting on a schedule... Blake's schedule will evolve more often than the flu virus! So don't you dare get down on yourself for anything like that. The important thing is to love him and be flexible to the constant change that is Motherhood!

As for nursing... I have never been comfortable nursing in public, but I never had a nursing cover either. I hope that will really help and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon. Several moms in my ward nurse right in Sacrament Meeting! Not that I would do that... we DO have a mother's room!

You can call me anytime you need a listening ear!